The Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President, Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion and Graduate School at Mississippi State University will sponsor up to four (4) “Institutional SREB Fellowships” per academic year for doctoral students (scholars). All Ph.D. granting majors at MSU are eligible to nominate scholars. Departments providing assistantships may nominate scholars to receive this award. If selected the scholar will be eligible for three (3) years of support under this program. The departmental nomination process will consist of a one-page profile of the student being nominated outlining their academic merits and any additional supporting material.
- An under-represented student accepted into a Ph.D. program
- Student is beginning the First Year in a Ph.D. program or Completing the Ph.D. program within 1 year of Award
- Student must receive departmental funding equivalent to at least a half-time appointment each year (> 10K/yr. for up to three years) and maintain satisfactory academic process
- A US citizen or resident alien status
- Full-time enrollment (at least 9 graduate hours/semester)
- Must be nominated by department for SREB fellowship
- Scholar is interested/committed to pursuing an academic career path upon graduation towards the professorate
- No external employment to the University
- Can my department nominate more than one student?
- Will the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion provide each scholar with a graduate assistantship?
No. Each scholar’s department is responsible for providing the student with a departmental assistantship equivalent to at least a half-time appoint each year for up to three years.
- Should my department include the $2,000 stipend in the offer letter to the Graduate Student?
No. The $2,000 stipend is awarded to each scholar in addition to his/her departmental assistantship payment.
The Fall 2020 Application has closed.
All nominations should be submitted via email to OIDI@MSSTATE.EDU